Chuck's wife, Rose, does not let anyone set her husband's value; "He is worth every penny charged," she will tell you over the phone. Bids are prepared with the utmost of care and take 1-2 hours to create. They will be sent to you by email within 2 days of the first meeting. Any bid sent out is our BEST and FINAL OFFER. Simply put, we don't haggle. We are here for MATURE COUPLES that remember, appreciate, and prefer "Old World Quality" to cheaply made items from CHINA, made at below minimum wage. Custom-made items have always been, and will always remain, more expensive than those mass produced; our generation, born in or around 1960, accepts that as fact and wants heirloom artistry and quality. This is a full-service company which means we inspect and buy all materials and rent all tools to be used for your project without exception. We are not assemblers, nor cheap day laborers. The only items we used recycled are wooden timbers that are one hundred years old for our custom tables, mantels and bookshelves. Work is limited to carpentry--items made of actual wood. No work done on ladders higher than 6 feet. We are transparent about how business is accomplished, so there are no surprises in the final cost and final outcome to be achieved:
- Any change orders are noted and countersigned by both parties.
- Most carpenters have palettes delivered "sight unseen" to the job site; this one hand picks all wood to be used before bringing it to your home, reducing return trips. He is fastidious about tools used, down to the screws and glue bought, because they determine the outcome achieved.
- Ninety percent of our carpentry projects range from $1,500 to $25,000. Just like a lawyer, we charge a retainer to commence: half down for materials and partial labor. Like a doctor, final payment is due in full on the final day service is rendered. We have a white collar mindset about our business and run a tight ship.
- Everything starts with you and your spouse discussing and agreeing upon your budget. We ask that you sit down and use an online estimator, before calling us to know what a reasonable price range looks like. HOA rules are shared directly with homeowners; learn what is allowable and not allowable in your HOA. If you live in a "historic district, be particularly mindful of those rules too. Not everything you want to do may be allowable; our contract will indicate YOU have obtained the required approval from any HOA or Historic Commission before we commence plans.
- If demolition is required, this adds to your total cost; you may require a dumpster, if the project is a large one. Each trip we make to the city dump is a $50 fee.
- A signature from one spouse will be as if from both for the duration of the project, so it is imperative you agree with your spouse about what is to be done.
- We charge a design fee, if you do not provide pictures prior to our compiling a bid.
- We price for what can be seen; if there are hidden issues under a floor, behind a wall, in the ceiling, your budget needs to allow for an increase in cost to accommodate these unknown, unknowable, and undisclosed findings.
- We are NOT a moving company; anything that should not be in the area to be worked on needs to be MOVED OUT a full day in advance.
- Once tarps, saws, ladders and tools are plugged in and set up, consider the work area "off limits." We have to stop work every time you enter the area, increasing total cost.
- We follow OSHA rules and city codes without exception; do not ask us to do otherwise.
- All pets must be kept confined and away from the work zone at all times for their safety and ours. This includes our first assessment meeting.
- All of those who are out-of-state and wish to have their NC rental home worked on must keep a CC on file with our office for the duration of the project. Photos will be sent at start, middle and end of project.
What does "quick start" mean?
It means you are ready to start in the next fourteen days.
Preparing bids for projects 2 months out is not in your interest or ours. We only give a bid on projects that are "quick start." The NC lumber mill we use for premium grade lumber does not guarantee pricing or availability more than two weeks in advance. We have three locations for our live edge slabs and reclaimed wood, all of which work on the two week pricing lock.
Our custom carpentry designs are proprietary, which means they are legally protected.
Below: Navy Blue Work Van with The Carpenter Craftsman magnets on back end of truck. Clean and in Good Shape.
Use this form to commence...